Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Air Force?

When I was 19, I went to the Air Force Academy in Colorado. My grandfather had retired from an Army career as a Colonel. My uncle was a Lieutenant Colonel in the Army. And I swelled with pride knowing the service they had given to our country.

I had considered Army, but after spending time in the Civil Air Patrol, the Air Force was the legitimate next step. After visiting the campus, and hearing recruiters talk about the wonderful perks I could expect after joining, I thought I was ready.

One signature. All I had to do was sign my name, and I would have become an Airman. I'm not really sure why I didn't sign it. I don't think I was scared of anything. I'm sure the thought of four years seemed like an eternity at the time.

Now, at 46, I could have spent 20 years in the service, and retired with full benefits. I could have entered the public world, and worked the last 8 years earning a living that would have supplemented my military retirement. After 20 years working in the civilian world, I could have two retirements.

NOT joining the military has been the greatest regret of my life.

Now my son is 19, and has said he is interested in the Air Force.

I haven't been 100% convinced that he seriously wants to join, but he says he is.

I have talked to him about how much I wish I had joined, and what a difference it could have made in my life. He is just like me at that age, and I have tried to express the difference it could make in his life. He could have all of the confidence, leadership and discipline that neither of us have. College assistance, job security, and awesome training all handed to him.

I was talking to someone about it last week. He will have to work somewhere. Either get a job making $10 an hour, at a place you don't like, and hope you can find another job when that one ends. Spend the rest of your life hoping to stay employed so you can pay your bills.

Choose a career in the Air Force, and you will always have a job, making decent money, unbelievable benefits, and retire early enough to enjoy life. Work as a civilian after retiring, and live very comfortably for the rest of your life. Or spend six years to get training, and college assistance, plus the discipline, leadership and confidence to get out and make something of your life.

I can only hope Chase truly sees what an opportunity this is for him. If God stepped in front of me, and offered me the chance to change just ONE thing about my life, I would grab that opportunity and never let go.

No comments:

Post a Comment