Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 20, 2020

COVID19





As I began writing this, we were in week 5 of being told to isolate, and avoid going out if at all possible.  Grocery stores were open, and people were still going.  Few had a mask, and only a few stores were limiting how many people were allowed in at a time.  Restaurants were open, but only to those who wanted their meals delivered, or would pick it up.  No one was allowed to dine out.  Churches were told they were not to have congregations inside their buildings.  Our church, thankfully, has their services broadcast live online.

Now, we are seeing restaurants and shops open back up.  More people are wearing masks when they go out.  And we are caught in a debate.  We were told it wasn't safe to go out unless absolutely necessary.  Nothing has changed.  There is no cure.  There is no vaccine. But now, we are opening back up to try to prevent the entire economy from crashing.

It is a time like no other.  With so much fear in the world, and uncertainty about our future, there are a couple of things that I find comfort in.  We as humans have banded together.  A story a couple of weeks ago talked about China sending respirators to the US.  We are no longer American, Iranian, Chinese...we are in this together.  Don't get me wrong.  I know that won't last.  As soon as this threat begins to wane, we will once again focus on our differences.  Wars will continue, and the hatred will resume.  But for now, we are facing a common enemy.  And if we don't work together, we all suffer.

As I look around at what is happening, I find more comfort than ever.  Not in humanity, in spite of how we are working together right now.  I find my comfort in God alone.

I turned 54 this year.  And each year brings me one step closer to the end of this journey, and into the next.  And each year, I find less and less in this world that I can trust in.  And I truly believe, if God came to me right now, and offered another 50 years of relatively healthy life, or to take me home today, I know what I would choose.  Not because I have lost my joy.  Not because there aren't a hundred things I still want to see and do.  But because I think about what joys this life has to offer.  And although SO many of them are wonderful, they simply can't compare. And as we struggle through the unknown post-COVID world, I find less joy here, and more there.

The GREATEST comfort I can find is in knowing that GOD is in control.  You aren't.  I'm not.  President Trump isn't.  The World Health Organization isn't.

Psalm 94:19 - "When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought joy to my soul."

No comments:

Post a Comment