Search This Blog

Friday, June 4, 2010

Pate Musueum

So I heard this week that the Pate Museum is closing, and auctioning off cars this weekend.

For those of you who aren't aware, Pate Museum was opened in the late sixties, showing off a collection of cars owned by A.M. Pate (Aggie).  He began collecting in the sixties, and continued through most of the eighties, until his death in '88.  The Pate Museum was located near Cresson, southwest of Fort Worth on 377.

One of my favorite things to do as a kid was to go to Pate Museum.  Back then, the cars weren't the main draw for me.  It was the collection of planes, tanks, cannons and other war relics outside.  Now that I'm older, I have a deeper appreciation for the cars on display.  Inside the buildings, along with the cars, was a small lunar module.  That was always pretty cool to look at.

The best thing about Pate (that I probably didn't even know as a kid), is that it was free. 

I took my son there once, when he was about eight.  Passing along the tradition my father shared with me wasn't quite the hit I had hoped it would be.  His favorite thing to do was the periscope.  It is inside the lobby, and you can look through it to see the outside.  We weren't allowed to climb on or in the tank anymore, which I'm sure he would have enjoyed.  The trampoline that my brother and I used to love to play on was also gone. 

One of the blogs I read about the museum closing stated that the cars had become dirty, and some were starting to rust.  That's unfortunate.  But maybe the auctioned cars will find good homes with people who will keep them in the pristine condition I remember them being in. 

Pate Museum holds a special place in the our hearts.  Thank you Mr. Pate, for allowing so many of us to create so many wonderful memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment